Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Clarification on what I'm saying...

Seeing some of the comments on the last entry, and hearing from others some of their thoughts, I want to elaborate on my thoughts a little more...

Complexity. We live in a world of complexity. We cannot make things simple. I don't think the solution falls on a single individual's shoulders (like Bush for Darfur or Iraq, or Clinton for Rwanda, or Kofi Annan or any one person).

I think I'm tired of demonizing politicians as the cause of all evil and indifference in the world. Politicians are about the business of politics... getting elected... keeping approval ratings... being careful technical ambassadors...etc.

Humans are responsible for humanity. I belive in the American system of government-- the way we have it set up. I believe if Americans, as a people, wanted something stopped or something done, thy could influence politicians to do so.

Here's the problem as I see it: we're lazy and indifferent... and comfortable and selfish. We are too lazy to get up off of our lay-z-boys, pause the Tivo, and push aside our spread from Wendy's to write an e-mail to our representatives about what we think and believe. We're too busy to go to a rally or interest meeting (or God forbid produce an interest meeting).

I refer back to the quote I began the last post with ( a part of it): "I was angry with people who could do something, even the simplest things, and they didn't."

Indifference and apathy don't start from the government and work their way down to the people in a democratic society... no, it happens the other way... from the people to the government.

So the problem is me. The problem is my friends. The problem is that a comfortable life easily breeds passivity.

A friend of mine (and future social studies teacher) who stays very up-to-date on global social issues such as the current genocides pointed out that at the root of almost every modern day genocide, civil war, and armed conflict in places like Africa is, simply, a shortage of the basic needs-- food, water, and medicine. There are things we can do about this. There are things we must do about this.

So what do we do? Do we sit around and shake our heads at "governments" or "politicians"... sure, some...

More importantly, we act. Write e-mails, stay informed, donate resources.

Now here's the hardest part for me... in our "getting involved" how much of what we do is for us to feel good about ourselves and how much is about actually helping.

I'm going to get kind of critical directly here, but I feel strongly that this is a real, tangible example for most of us here in Waco and at Baylor. If we go paint a house for "stepping out" once a year does that make us compassionate to the plight of our empoverished neighbors? If we make the houses near our University look better by slapping a few coats of paint over rotting wood and unhealthy living environment, and then put a sign out front that says "THIS ORGANIZATION DID THIS!", who is that for?

Same thing on a global level. We need to find ways to be authentic in our activism. Blaming politicians or mild involvement don't cut it. What I'm doing right now doesn't cut it. How do I do more? I think that's a good question for us to ask.

8 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger greenISgood said...

Honestly, I didn't think your previous post needed clarification, nor did I sense you were blame-flaming in the least - that's why I cheered you on. You are 100% correct about our complacency, yeah I said it - What What? we simply haven't come to terms with the link between that and folks literally dying. Why should it matter, right, as long as I'm comfortable, why should I worry about someone down the street, much less someone half way across the world? The problem is both local and global (glocal) as you stated.

Well, there's a very good reason why and now you've got me thinking about my next post......BigDiddy, jus stay up ON it, baby! STAY...UP...ON IT! Lean wit it, rock wit it....

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

On "Blaming Politicians" - I think in our righteous indignation, we forget that these politicians are our elected officials...we put them there, they work for us. That means they have to do what the majority of Americans want. Sure, there a handful of loud folks, as it were, touting the reasons to get behind the Darfur region and address these humanitarian issues. Unfortunately, it's not enough to have Bono or whomever talking to Dubya every few months about Africa or half of Hollywood "raising awareness" through Live 8. We have to talk about it, too. And more than that, there must be action. I think you're right to say that people need to get in touch with their representatives and emphasize that they want these humanitarian injustices to be made an issue. Washington works for us. And unfortunately, many people forget that fact.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger ben said...

Everyone keeps commenting on how the elected officials do what we want them to do, that they work for us. In my privious comment i said that their is no USA interest in Africa and by "interest" i mean "oil". This is a direct comment to ME, YOU, CAR MAKERS, POLITICANS, PRES. BUSH, EVERYONE. The demand for hybrid cars far exceeds the supply. In the end, money and convience rule the day and I am just as guilty of it. However, i do email my leaders, i do write letters, i do make calls, i do read the papers and websites and watch the news. But i don't feel like my voice gets heard alot of the time. And i do feel like because i try to influence the powers at be from within the system that I have a right to call out things that I don't feel are right. When i make comments like "Dubya, or Mericans" it is more of an attempt to ease into, with humor, a critique of the policy they support. It hasn't been received as humor, instead it came across as a slam...so in the future I will just go ahead and Say Bush, Clinton,Rumsfield, Kerry, Cheney (Cheney's got a gun, Cheney's got a gun...aerosmith anyone? hahah sorry i couldn't pass up that one... i suck). All to say, too often people think that because i don't support BUSH on alot of things that I hate the guy and everything he does. I guess we need to go back to youth group days and say three nice things about someone when we say something bad about them. So President Bush, I love that you have pledged more to Africa relief than any other president in history. I like your shoes. I like your wife, she is real nice.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In case there was any doubt (I can't tell from Ben's comment), I'm NOT in any way advocating Bush's foreign policy. That's why I call him Dubya. Ben said he was going for humor by referring to him as "Dubya" or "Mericans". I'm just going to out and out say I don't like Dubya that much, so that's why I am often tempted to refer to him as such. At any rate, I'll just say, I agree with Ben. When I say a lot of folks forget that Washington works for us, what I mean is just that. Unfortunately, there's not enough of a voice coming from the American people about these issues. I feel like I can write and talk at Washington until I'm blue in the face, but until enough people are aware and care about these humanitarian situations, there won't be any significant change. My little voice isn't enough.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger greenISgood said...

W
W
W
W
W
W

:0
RobertD

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Since were talking politics...which I know zero about...I was wondering if anyone saw the clip about Katrina that the AP got ahold of. I guess what I'm wondering is this. For avg. Joe like me, has the footage been edited to look the way it looks or do you suppose it is as it was?

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I doubt it was edited. The AP is about as reputable as they come. I wish it were, but probably not.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Singleton said...

someone fill me in on what was seen in the Katrina footage...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home